Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Jody Hedlund- Foremost Review


Honestly I hope you came here prepared for more screaming because book two in Jody Hedlund's Lost Princesses series is coming out later this month. And I am ecstatic.

If you haven't read my previous post where I screamed about the prequel and book one you can find that here.


Now... onto Foremost


The Blurb:

A second princess. Another key to the treasure. And a cruel king desperate to squelch the growing rebellion.

Raised in an isolated abbey, Lady Maribel desires nothing more than to become a nun and continue practicing her healing arts. She’s carefree and happy with her life…until a visitor comes to the abbey and reveals her true identity as one of the lost princesses.

When he was a young boy, Edmund Chambers helplessly watched King Ethelwulf murder his family. Edmund escaped and has lived in the abbey ever since, uniquely trained to work with wild animals. Secretly, he loves Maribel and desperately hopes she doesn’t complete her holy order vows.

When King Ethelwulf’s army arrives at the abbey to capture Maribel, she flees with Edmund across the desolate Highlands in an attempt to reach Adelaide’s rebel army. Edmund can no longer hide his love, but can Maribel give up her dreams of becoming a nun to love him in return?



My Review:

Okay so wow. I wasn't sure if I would like this one as much as the first. I mean how could I? I loved the first. I wasn't sure if I would like Edmund and Maribel as much as I did Christopher and Adelaide which is always the danger of series like this. I thought this would be the slow story of the series that I would have to suffer through...



Yup I readily admit it. I WAS WRONG.

I loved this book a bajillion times more than the first OH MY GOSH WHERE DO I EVEN START WITH ALL OF THE LOVING????

THERE WAS A LABYRINTH WITH BOOBY TRAPS!!!!

Can we take a moment to freak out over that fact. Y'all are probably all aware of how much I adore labyrinths AND booby traps but if not allow me to take a second to say ASDFGHJKL

So this world is technically medieval, but Hedlund does add in some things that are slightly more on the fantasy side so... we have people able to speak the language of animals, giant spiders, A FLIPPING DRAGON (I mean I believe that dragons existed but STILL). AND THIS FANTASY LOVER WAS 100% ON BOARD WITH ALL OF THAT.

Okay so we have the Fera Augmen which is flipping cool and Edmund's relationship with his animals was amazing. Actually everything about Edmund was amazing he was strong and dedicated but in his own way. This kid was crazy smart and loyal. He was usually pretty taciturn but knew how to joke around and just... can I have my own Edmund I promise I would treat him better than Maribel did. (but can we please have a moment of silence for this brother trapped in the friend zone?)

Maribel was all right, I mostly enjoyed her but sometimes I wanted to slap her over the head. Edmund did need to learn how to say no to her every now and then XD

But boy did I ship them. For some reason best friends to lovers is one of my favorite tropes. Not gonna lie. And seeing people overcome the friendzone always makes me extremely happy XD

I did a thing again...



AND THE NEXT BOOK. THE NEXT BOOK. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW HOW I AM GOING TO WAIT I NEED IT NOW. PLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

I apologize if this review makes absolutely zero sense. I stayed up WAY too late last night to finish it and I am basically running on caffeine and feels.

I was provided a ARC from the author, all opinions, however are my own.




(aren't all of those covers just SO pretty???)




This book comes out September 24th do yourself a favor and Preorder Now!

And here are some links if you want to keep up with Jody Hedlund:


Well... that's all until book three releases. I will be pretty much screaming internally non-stop until then.

6 comments:

  1. This series sounds AWESOME! I will definitely be checking it out as soon as I can! Awesome review, Nicki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay yeah I officially need this series thanks a LOT Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I know right?

      Me: reading the book

      The characters: you ever heard of the labyrinth of Death and its dangerous guardian?

      Me:๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ป๐Ÿ˜ป๐Ÿ˜ป

      Delete