Monday, April 29, 2019

The Language of Worlds Linkup: Alicia


In which I realize that April is almost over and I have yet to do this Linkup hosted by the wonderful Liv  So I guess you guys get two blog posts this week, lucky you.

Since this month was Camp NaNo, I decided to talk about my heroine from my project I've been working on this month, A Matter of Curiosity. Her name is Alicia Hareton and you are about to learn a whole lot more about her.

1. What's your character's favorite song?

Um, I don't think I gave Alicia a specific song that she enjoys? I know that she would appreciate her theme Just Like Fire. In the first version of A Matter of Curiosity she did hear this song which she really liked. I eventually removed the song because it has literally nothing to do with the story. But it was this:


 “For the queen a dress I’ll sew
Hey dilly-dally-oh- ho- ho
For a maid, a dress I’ll mend
Hey dilly-dally all things do end
I’ll kiss me a handsome prince
Hey dilly-dally I’ve been imprisoned since
For revenge the king I’ll kill
Hey dilly dally- who needs a king still?
I’ll take that crown only for me

Hey dilly-dally-he-he-he...

2. What makes their soul thrive?

Amar, the unknown, exploration.

And she'll get mad at me if I don't mention him, but Dante too.

3. Describe their typical outfit.

That's an easy one because for several years, Alicia only ever wore the same outfit.


"I pull on the first dress that I come across. I think it’s my sixth favorite, but I don’t have time to check for sure. It’s sometimes hard to tell my dresses apart since they all look exactly the same. I know it doesn’t offer much variety. But when I find something that I like, I don’t see a reason to change it. And I like my light blue dresses that comes down to just past my knees, with short sleeves and a bodice."


She's branched out in book two, but she still really likes blue dresses. Right now, she's running around in a blue sundress and flats.



4. What do they look like? (Share a picture, if you want!)

Alicia has curly blonde hair and stormy blue eyes. This is a picture of what I typically imagine her looking like



5. Who cares most about them?

This is a bit of a harder question to answer because Alicia is dearly loved. Her stepfather adores her, her mother would sacrifice herself for her. Actually, I'm pretty sure that Hector, Dante, and Olivia would all gladly lay down their lives for Alicia. She just has a charming affect on people. And I'm pretty sure that they would all fight for eternity to try to see which one loves her more so we'll just leave it at those five.

6. Have they been called names beyond their own? (i.e. nicknames, insults, etc.)

In this book, Alicia is more likely to call people the nicknames, but I suppose a few characters will address her differently than her name. Primarily, her stepfather who will only call her Alicia if he's extremely angry or stressed. Generally he calls her sugar plum, sweetheart, and every other pet name under the sun. Her mother will call her pet names as well, including dear or goosie. Generally the servants on her grounds will call her miss.

Olivia calls her cuz or Licia. Dante has addressed her as Signorina, and sometimes calls her his Imaginary Friend.

She's also been called mental, mad, and crazy by a wide assortment of characters. And in A Matter of Curiosity she is called King.



7. What is their Hogwarts house and/or MBTI personality?

Hmm... Even though, she acts like a Hufflepuff, I'm actually going to say that Alicia is Ravenclaw. Because she would much rather be right than nice.

So, I didn't know her MBTI personality off of the top of my head, but apparently Alicia is an INTP. So now you know, and so do I.

8. Is there a psalm they identify with? What is it?

I can't think of one off of the top of my head, and I would look it up, but I really ought to get back to writing so I'm just going to go with Psalm 24. Because it kind of fits what with her obsession with different worlds and her inherent innocence.

9. How do they handle defeat?

Not well, not well at all. For the most part, Alicia won't even admit defeat. She'll keep going at whatever problem she has until either it is finally overcome or she is dead. If the decision is taken out of her hands though, well she will mope for months, constantly thinking of herself as a failure. Because it isn't so much victory to her, but more finding a way to avoid defeat. And if she is defeated anyway then she has failed her entire mission.

10. Without spoilers, how are they the hero of this story? (Even if they're the villain!)

Alicia is the hero of the story because she is the one who drives all of the other characters forward. She's the one who sets out on the difficult tasks in these books without a second thought. She's the only one mad enough to look at these tasks and actually think them possible. And she's determined to defeat the villain and have a happy ending no matter the cost. So that's what makes her the hero.




Not my normal day for posting, but April is drawing to a close and I had just realized that I hadn't actually done this post yet. I hope you all enjoyed reading a little bit more about Alicia! Writers, who is the main character in the book you're working on? Readers, who is the main character in the book you're currently reading? Comment below!

10 comments:

  1. Alicia!Love learning even more about her. I love that she has variations of the same outfit. I do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, really? I don't know if I do that but most of my clothes are black or darkly colored so there is that XD

      Delete
  2. Gosh, Alicia is so interesting! I especially love the pictures you’ve chosen - they just add a whole other dimension to her. Great post! (I also love how everyone is doing this post last-minute. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia is certainly one of my more interesting heroines. She's very different from anyone I've ever written before (so do I because that means that I wasn't the only one XD)

      Delete
  3. Alicia, my bby <3 I love her so very very much. <3

    And the dress thing is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia is precious. She doesn't deserve any pain. Now if only I can convince my plot of that XD

      Apparently that's a big fan favorite?

      Delete
  4. Alicia is probably my favorite of your characters <3 Ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, even over Cedric and Ravven? I'm impressed.

      Delete
  5. Alicia is so precious and fun and I love her! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize how many people loved Alicia so much XD Maybe I should be nicer to her or risk incurring all of you reader's wrath XD

      Thanks!

      Delete