Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Camp NaNo Update: Week 2



Spoiler alert: I SURVIVED. Unfortunately, my orderly writing system did not. Big surprise there (not really). Since when have I ever been orderly? And for my writing at the moment... it's pretty much a hurricane of colorful snakes. (if that didn't make sense to anyone, well then I think I described it accurately)

Or maybe I should describe it as a car that has been caught up in the grasps of a fiery tornado (never mind why I am suddenly obsessed with storms). It crashed and burned. Crashed and burned, I say. I went about five days without even really writing anything at all. Got lost in memes (I am implementing serious time constraints on Pinterest). Got tired from work. Procrastinated from doing everything. It wasn't pretty. At first I told myself that I needed a little break, and I probably did. But then that little break turned into a massive act of procrastination.

But whatever. All is good. I'm back on track now and going to be way more strict with myself.

I've already written 30k words in the first half of the month when normally that's the amount of words I get done in a WHOLE month. So maybe I won't make it to the 90k, but I'm still going to make this a fight to remember.

Maybe A Matter of Curiosity won't even be 90k words? And I will be perfectly happy with however long it ends up being, even if that means that I don't finish my Camp goals. Of course, I always reach this point in my books where I think they'll be super short and then they end up being way longer than I anticipated, so who knows what will happen. I certainly don't.

Anyway, this week I thought that I would share a little more about my Camp NaNo project because I realize that some of you haven't read A Certain Sort of Madness yet and so probably have no idea what is going on. So, allow me to share a little bit about the cast of A Matter of Curiosity. So you guys can know who these people I'm always talking about are.

Alicia: The King



Alicia has maybe a little too much power, both due to her magical abilities and her friend's loyalty. But no worries, she means well. Sometimes she just gets... carried away.

Quote: I’m not sick! It happened. There were dragons and faeries, but it was still real."

ThemeJust Like Fire

Olivia: The Queen



Alicia's sassy cousin, Olivia has a good head on her shoulders. Assuming she can keep it on her shoulders, that is.

Quote: I’m not entirely sure what is going on anymore. All I know is that it isn’t good.

Theme: Land of Confusion

Dante: The Rook



Dante Carlos Alessandro III, The Huntsman, Imaginary Friend- the man of many names. The jack of a thousand trades. The trump card that will very likely turn on you if you try to use him.

Quote: Even in my dreams, Dante is still the sassiest person I know.

Theme: A Million Dreams

Eugene: The Bishop



An illusionist and pickpocket with more secrets than he has tricks up his sleeve. And he has quite a few tricks. Would give his life for his monkey.

Quote: Chandler does like glory. If I don’t go, he’s liable to go without me. And you are the only friends I have so why not? If we die at least we die together.”

Theme: The Greatest Show

Hector: The Knight



Loyal and steadfast to a fault, Hector will do anything for those he loves. Even kill for them.

Quote: Hector’s eyes flash murderously. “If I ever see that son of a snake again-”

Theme: Come Alive

Jane: The Pawn



Jane is the quiet member that never seems to fit right in. But don't let that fool you, she's just as brave as the rest. And she is no one's fool.

Quote: That was a rubbish explanation,” Jane says. “I still have no idea what is going on.”

Theme: Tightrope


And there you have it, my main characters in this series. Some of you are probably wondering about the chess names. Well... you know, it's all fun and games over here. Even when everyone is getting hurt, apparently. Maybe next week I'll share more about Marius and the Red Queen and the setting...

So what do you guys think of this post? I sort of realized that I had no post planned yesterday and just winged it. Hopefully you found it enjoyable.

Have you read A Certain Sort of Madness? If so, who is your favorite character (and since I'm sinking so many of them, ship)? And if you haven't, who do you think would be your favorite character? Are you doing Camp NaNo? If so, how are you doing with your goals? Let's talk!

18 comments:

  1. Ooo, this was so interesting! (Also - is that Eddie Redmayne I see in your character pictures? And I think I know what Faith is going to say about one of them . . . ;) ) (and also, I’m pretty sure that I’m going to majorly relate to Jane . . . XD)

    Hey, even if you don’t hit your Camp goal, 30k is AWESOME! Considering that we're just over halfway done with NaNo, that’s still more than you would have needed at this point in November! YOU GOT THIS! *encouraging trumpet fanfare*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks (I didn't even realize XD) (I'm glad, Jane is a very understated character XD)

      Thank you so much for your encouragement. I definitely got far more done than I would have if it wasn't for Camp :)

      Delete
  2. HECTOR LOOKS LIKE EDDIE REDMAYNE TOO! I just thought I would say that since we both have characters that decided to look like him!! :D *Goes tell Phoenix that he has a doppelganger and then comes back* Anyway your story is awesome, and I love the theme songs for your characters, especially a Million Dreams.

    Also, Nicki, you can get to your goal! I belive you can! Just keep writing and you will get there!
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I did not realize that was who was in the picture until you all started pointing it out. I was more thinking with the dark hair and the hood XD XD Thank you, and I'm glad that you do! It definitely works for Dante.

      Thank you so much for your encouragement :P

      Delete
  3. *comes in screaming* YOUR DANTE LOOKS LIKE MY DEREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (is this what you meant, Nicole? XD) AHHHHH NOW I LOVE HIM EVEN MORE. *squeals and jumps up and down*

    Oh, and I love the chess comparisons! <3 They're awesome.

    STOP SINKING SHIPS GIRLY. I WILL COME FOR YOU AND I MEAN THAT.

    I'm almost to 100k. It's gonna happen today. I swear it. *growls at self-imposed deadlines*

    Congrats on 30k! You're doing amazingly! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOOPS, well, that was an accident XD But it was a good picture.

      All of the chess over here. I should make a poker reference in my book just to do something different XD

      YOU'RE ONE TO TALK ABOUT SINKING SHIPS, IT'S WHAT YOU DESERVE IS ALL I'M SAYING

      Thanks :P

      Delete
  4. sinking so many of what now, Nicki? o-o
    Ahh, I can't wait to see these guys again! I'm so looking forward to this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, um... *scuttles off to hide*

      They are so dear. Thanks! :P

      Delete
  5. These characters sound so awesome!! Wonderful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suddenly I'm crazy excited for this... I mean come on ALICIA HAS GOT TO BE MY FAVORITE OF YOUR CHARACTERS EVER. I love how different she is from typical female protagonists! Her narrating style! Her slight but adorable wacky madness! Yay Alice in Wonderland!

    Also I'm guessing the whole chess name thing must have to do with the fact that the first book was kind of inspired by Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, so this book contains Through the Looking Glass elements? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep, well I'm glad that you are so excited! I hadn't realized that you liked her so much, but yeah, Alicia is pretty great.

      You've got me. That's exactly where it comes from ;P

      Delete
  7. Okay, your picture for Eugene is exactly how imagined him, honestly. XD

    I'm glad you're back on track. Breaks are important, too, so don't feel like you failed because sometimes, we have to step back to know what to do. :D

    I'm super excited for this one! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad that I described him well enough that you can imagine him like I do XD

      Thanks, and you're right about that. But often times my breaks end up extending for far too long. Oops.

      Yay! <3

      Delete
  8. I actually bought ACSoM a while back but haven't read it yet. APPARENTLY I NEED TO NOW SO THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? APPARENTLY YOU DO IF YOU WANT TO HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE SEQUEL XD ;P

      Delete