Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Camp NaNo- Week 3



I guess since I don't have any other post planned I'll talk about week three of Camp NaNo? I've managed to write 5k words since last week. Not a ton more, but for some reason my job likes me to work? Who would have thought that.

So... I'm not going to write 90k words this month. Big surprise there right? But, the story is coming along, even if it is excruciatingly slowly. Probably some of the reason that I am not getting as much written is because I legitimately have no idea what to write. I am really just winging it here. My brain has been working double time just trying to figure out what the next chapter will be about. One of the problems with pantsing I suppose.

Anyway, I said last week that I would share about Marius and the Red Queen. My kinda sorta villains. And before you ask, no I'm not going to share about Fillias, my other kinda sorta bad guy. Sorry, but spoilers XD

Marius: The King

I'll start with Marius. He's an extremely interesting character because in My Time in Amar he isn't actually classified as one of my bad guys. Sure, Chelsea, Easton, Clint, and Bobby all hate his guts. But in the long term of the plot, he's actually a good guy because he is against the biggest bad guy. In Return to Amar however, Marius is the big bad guy in the story. Sure my characters have to deal with faeries and the likes, but Marius is the one they are spending the story trying to defeat. And that is really weird for me that he can be the big bad guy in one story and my character's ally in another. But also it's an interesting dynamic.

Even though he is such a prominent figure in both of my Amar series, I legitimately have no aesthetics about him? I mean, why exactly would I? Marius is an extraordinarily plain looking character with gray streaked brown hair and shapeless brown monk robes. The truly interesting part about him is his mind.

This guy is clever and crafty, and yes, insane. Probably some of his insanity has to do with his own sort of self-imposed exile. He hasn't been a member of society for more than six hundred and fifty years. That's right, he's also immortal. Something that happened to him in his past that destroyed his faith in humanity. Well, that is unless he can step in an intervene in their favors. Because he doesn't hate the people of Amar, quite the contrary, he thinks himself their protector. He just knows that he is better than them.

The Red Queen


So... there isn't a lot about the Red Queen that I can say. I can neither confirm or deny that she is Jane, so don't even bother asking. I will say that the Red Queen is in fact a character that you know, or at least you will know by this point in the series. But I'm not gonna say who because that's a pretty big spoiler.

Poor lass, she's a victim of her circumstances, and I'm afraid that she is probably going insane. She does some questionable things. Whatever it takes for her to win. Whatever it takes, you got that?

So... that's really all I've got for now, and since I'm already doing this last minute on Wednesday morning I'm going to wrap this up simply with a friendly reminder about the Amar fan art contest that is still going on.



The rules are:

  • The pictures must be of either characters or scenes of any of my Amar books I've written. That would include: A Week of Werewolves, Faeries, and Fancy Dresses; A Certain Sort of Madness; as well as A Time of Trepidation, Pirates, and Lost Princesses when it is finally republished. (no vulgar content is allowed; because that is obviously not in my books)
  • No payments required, submit as many pictures as you would like to boost your chances at winning.
  • Email your pictures to me at nicky(dot)chapelway(at)gmail(dot)com
  • The subject of your email should be "Amar Drawing Contest"
  • Submissions end on August 8th, 2019

And there are prizes, my friends. Three of them.
First place will win signed copies of the first three of the My Time in Amar books. A Week of Werewolves, Faeries, and Fancy Dresses; A Time of Trepidation, Pirates, and Lost Princesses; and be one of the first to receive a copy of A Season of Subterfuge, Courtiers, and War Councils when it releasesThe will also have a character named and created off of them in A Season of Subterfuge, Courtiers, and War Councils.
On top of these two things, they will win a print of a picture where I drew of ALL OF my main teenage characters from both my Amar series (that I have up to this point, anyway).









The winner will also receive a paper copy of the official map of Amar:


Second Place will win signed copies of both A Certain Sort of Madness and A Week of Werewolves, Faeires, and Fancy Dresses as well as their choice of either the map or a copy of the character drawing.
Third Place will win their choice of a signed copy of either A Certain Sort of Madness or A Week of Werewolves, Faeries, and Fancy Dresses as well as their choice of either the map or a copy of the character drawing.

Anyway, that's all for now I've got some catching up to do. What do you guys think of Marius, is he a bad guy or just misunderstood? Should I have included more aesthetics? How are you doing on your NaNo projects? Comment below!

8 comments:

  1. Your baddies sound so interesting! Something about Marius reminds me of one of my own villains - I just can’t figure out what. XD And the Red Queen has intrigued me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Marius might just be my favorite. He's definitely the villain I hate the least XD Hmm, now I'm curious about this villain. She's a very intriguing character! :)

      Delete
  2. AGH I love your villains so much. Especially intrigued by the Red Queen, and also by Fillias. XD I just want to know all the things.

    I love aesthetics, so alllll the aesthetics will always be great! But no pressure to include more xD

    Marius is definitely a bad guy. I mean, he kidnapped [spoiler] and [spoiler] and actually killed [spoiler] and would have killed [spoiler]. He's bad. Definitely not just misunderstood. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that makes one person. My characters happen to hate their guts XD YOU CAN KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING, LEAST OF ALL ABOUT MY SPOILER CHARACTERS, LOOK NO FURTHER!!

      Note to self: add more aesthetics because Faith loves them XD

      ... Honestly I don't know who these people are. I don't remember Marius killing anyone except for grandmother, is that who you are talking about?

      Delete
  3. I intend to enter the contest, by the way... although it may take a while for me to remember about it. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, can't wait to see what you draw for the entry (or entries ;P)

      Delete
  4. Your characters sound fascinating!

    ReplyDelete