Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Farewell April

Not that I forgot, but yeah I totally forgot to write this post XD Phew, April was a whirlwind, but also it seemed to last forever and now I am convinced that I am living in some form of tear in the time space continuum where time is both fast and slow.

Life

Other than being completely boring, I haven't done much. Let's see, I worked. A lot. Allergies have been kicking my bum, but hey, who needs to smell out of both nostrils anyway? I'm still on my kinda-sorta internet break as in I'm not going to be on it overly often because I've got writing to get done.

I've not really done much else.

Ugh, this is depressing, why did I ever think it would be a good idea to update on my life? I have no life!

Reading

In April I read three books. I am now nine books behind on my Goodread Reading Challenge, things aren't looking super great over here.

A Dream Within a Dream by Kristina Mahr
4 stars
Dream world//Love triangle//Sequel
All That We See or Seem by Kristina Mahr
4 stars
Dream World//Love Triangle//Dark Magic
To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
4.5 stars
Little Mermaid//Pirates//Bloody
 Screen Time

Honestly I feel like I'm missing a movie or two. Sheesh, I have to keep better tabs on these instead of trusting my Goldfish brain.

Mirror, Mirror

Believe it or not, this was this fairy tale lover's first time watching this movie. It was hilarious, I really liked it. Not a movie you take very seriously though. Kudos to having Armie Hammer play the prince, definitely my favorite part.

Aquaman

I went into this movie with low expectations. I didn't really like how they portrayed Aquaman in Justice League so I didn't think I would like having a whole movie dedicated to him. This movie exceeded all of my expectations. It was epic, the water special affects were so cool, I really enjoyed the movie's mythology. The characters were the best part. Aquaman is I think the first super hero movie I've seen where both the guy and the girl have super powers (Guardians of the Galaxy came the closest, but neither Peter or Gamora technically have super powers) and watching them as a dynamic team was the best.

I know that it has language, but I watched it through Clearplay so I don't know how much or how bad.

Captain Marvel
I came into this movie with low expectations and it still managed to disappoint me. Blech, probably the worst movie I've seen this year. Worst movie I've seen in a really long time.


Men in Black 3

I saw the first MIB a while ago, then we skipped the second, and this was my first time watching the third. I actually really liked it. It was hilarious and the special affects were far more enhanced from the first one. Also it had a timey wimey twist and y'all know that I love me some of those.

There was quite a bit of language. I don't know quite what because we watched it through Clearplay, but it muted a lot of stuff.

Doctor Who Season 2

I ONLY HAVE THREE EPISODES LEFT BEFORE THIS SEASON ENDS AND I DIE. And that is all I have to say about that *cries forever*

Victoria Season 3

Finally started watching this again. I don't know how many of you know this, but I have a very great weakness when it comes to Period Dramas. I watch them too much honestly. The last episode that we watched had killed off a beloved character from season one quite cruelly so I'm not sure what exactly I should say about my enjoyment of this series.

Victoria's sister is a nutcase and wins the award for most hated character in this particular season.


Writing

For those of you who haven't kept up with my rambling posts, this month was Camp NaNo. I wrote 45,000 words in A Matter of Curiosity. Which hopefully means that I'm halfway through the book. I'm hoping to finish writing it in May. I'm super proud of this achievement because I've been in a bit of a writing rut and hopefully this pulled me out of it.

I didn't work on any other projects that wasn't Amar related this month. Instead I took this break to think about which of my stories I'm actually going to work on. I am going to allow myself to write two that are not already related to the series that I've written, and one has already been decided and I have a pretty good idea for what I'll work on for the second. To everyone I have told that I am going to work on a specific story, I'm sorry, I've probably put it down. It just didn't work out. I'll announce at least one of the projects very soon.

That's all for now. Hopefully you had a productive month. Have you seen Captain Marvel yet? If so what did you think of it? Where are you at in your Goodreads Reading Challenge? Comment below!


13 comments:

  1. Huh, I didn’t think Aquaman would be that good. I might have to check it out, though....

    Sounds like you had a good April - except for allergies. I feel you. Hopefully you have a better May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I but it was without a doubt my favorite movie I watched this month.

      Thanks, I certainly got a lot done. But ugh, these allergies gotta go away. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm like twelve books ahead on my reading challenge XD I'll send you a couple so we can be more even. I need to stop reading. At least this week will be slower with Finals Cramming.

    You already know my feelings about Captain Marvel ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please send some to this poor desperate soul XD

      You have every right to hate it *glares at the entire abomination that was the movie*

      Delete
  3. ahh, "Aqua-Man". ;) it wasn't my favorite- i felt like it was too long (when you have to Google the length of a movie while you're in the theater, it's too long / boring, xD), but i LOVE Jason Momoa as Aqua-Man. ;)

    and, i actually really liked "Captain Marvel"! it wasn't the best Marvel movie, but i felt like they did a great job with her character and honestly, it was time for a female superhero movie. and Carol's friendship with Fury was the best. :) what are your thoughts about it?

    ahhh, i really want to watch the new Men in Black movie (with Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson!), so i need to watch the originals. ;)

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the Captain Marvel movie too. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete
    2. Maybe it was a bit long. I didn't really notice. I just found the movie so aesthetically pleasing and I loved the mythology that they created for the movie XD

      No, it certainly wasn't the best Marvel movie. It's not that I have anything against them having a female superhero movie, and actually I love Captain Marvel as a character. I just didn't like this representation of Captain Marvel. I'm sorry but she was really emotionless in the movie. The way that she stole the guy's motorcycle after he insulted her rubbed me wrong because what sort of image is that giving people of how women should act? And the end was so boring because I knew that she was just going to smash through everything so why did it even matter?
      I didn't like what they did with "Doctor Lawson". The way that Fury lost his eye? So dumb. What they did with the Skrulls who were possibly the coolest bad guys in the Marvel Universe? Wasteful.
      I did somewhat enjoy her relationship with Fury, I think it was probably the only time she actually acted a smidgen human. But also it wasn't in that much of the movie.

      I do too, I think it will be pretty funny. That would probably be best to get a good idea of that world ;P

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had an amazing April, Nicki.
    It was neat doing Camp NaNoWrimo with you, and I hope that next July you might be in the Fellowship of the Keyboards again with me, Jane and the others. :)

    I haven't seen most of the movies you listed except for Captain Marvel which I loved, but I understand if you didn't like it.
    Aquaman seems a little interesting, but for some reason I would prefer if he was beardless. XD

    Anyway, I hope you have an amazing, May.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I suppose that I did ;P

      It was! I'm hoping so as well :)

      I can see why people would enjoy Captain Marvel it had a good beat to it and lots of action, I just found the characters lacking and as a character driven viewer that was an unforgivable sin on my part XD
      You know, I don't blame you on that. The reason I didn't like him in Justice League was because I wanted him to be blonde and beardless XD

      Thank! And I'm hoping the same for you <3

      Delete
  5. Allergies are the worst!

    So glad you liked Mirror Mirror, a lot of people don't and I think it's hilarious. Omigoodness, Doctor who! I always cry at the season finales.
    Ten is my favorite Doctor. Such a good show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yes they are *cries*

      Yay, a fellow person who enjoys Mirror Mirror. I know, so many people, including most of my family really didn't like it and I'm just like, "Don't mess with tried and true story telling, they have focus groups!"

      *ugly sobs* They are all so tragic why do I even like this show so much???

      Eleven is my favorite, but Ten is my second favorite so I can totally get that!

      Delete
  6. I REALLY enjoyed Aquaman too! The fight scenes and the underwater setting were EPIC and I was obsessed. (The one thing I didn't like was Aquaman's sense of humor - I thought it was lame. :P)

    There are so many mixed reviews on Captain Marvel. I have friends who love it and friends who hate it and friends who don't give a care about it... Guess I'll have to just watch it and see what I think. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad that you liked it too. It was so neat (I actually learned to appreciate his humor in this one and finally came to like him as a character)

      I'm definitely in the group of friends who hated it *sharpens pitchfork*. That's exactly what you are going to have to do ;P

      Delete