Friday, November 1, 2019

The Shared WIP Tag Week One: Intro





Hey guys, can you believe that it is November already? *cue much freaking out from me as well as other authors* NaNo is upon us!

As I didn't actually manage to finish SoS last month-not that I didn't try my jolly hardest, but some idiot decided to make that book super long, when I get my hands on them...- I will actually be working on two books for at least the beginning of NaNo. The first being of course finally finishing that blasted book SoS.

But the second, and also my main project is...

A Matter of Curiosity

And I am so excited to share with you more about it in the shared WIP tag which I am doing with these lovely ladies every Friday this month:


Lila: https://lilakimswriter.blogspot.com/
Julian: juliandaventrymemories.blogspot.com

Now onto the questions...

-If you have a book cover, torture your readers by making them scroll forever to see it. If you do not have a book cover, describe your dream cover.

Okay then...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






...






So I don't actually have a cover for this book yet. But I do have a design. The color scheme is gonna be purple and red and the background is going to be a circus. Like the first book it will be night. And I may have the tree just like book one. Only this book is going to have Olivia on the cover instead of Alicia so I'm pretty excited about that.


Book 1's cover for reference 



-Provide a blurb

It has been nearly a year since the events that put her mother in a coma. Since her grandfather was imprisoned in the Unrealm as well as Dante. Since she’s last stepped foot in Amar. Trying to put heartache and broken promises behind her, Alicia attempts for the first time in her existence to actually live a regular life. But apparently “normal” has always been hopelessly out of her reach.

Cracks are appearing everywhere, showing glimpses into the other worlds. Marius is fighting to break free from his prison, and reality is tearing at the seams to try to hold him in. The only way to save the four realms is for Alicia to find a way to stop her grandfather once and for all. But how does one defeat an immortal?

She offers him a bargain. Play a game against her, winner takes all. The stakes are her future, her mother’s life, and the freedom of the boy she loved—and still possibly might. Only the most powerful mage in all Amar will walk away. But in order to win, Alicia must become like her grandfather and be willing to use her friends as pawns.

Olivia Linton longs for a normal life far from the illusionist who betrayed her and broke her heart. But when her cousin agrees to a dangerous bargain, Olivia quickly learns that normal will never be within her reach. Now Olivia finds herself forced to work alongside a band of misfits she cannot trust playing a game that she cannot win.

In this twisted world love, loyalty, sanity, and safety are all just an illusion. And sometimes reality doesn’t deserve to be saved.


-Share some aesthetics

(all pictures via Pinterest)

 “Dragons are always preferred to unicorns.”


"If my courtiers could know how I cry every night from loneliness, they would not fear me at all.
Or perhaps they should fear me more. Because maybe there is nothing more frightening than a lonely, unpredictable queen who doesn’t know how to rule. Whose bright idea was it to put me on the throne anyway?
We all know that I’m just going to make a bloody mess of things."



“Pinch yourself,” he says, a dark smile pulling at his lips. “You’re gonna find that you can’t wake up.”


“Are you real?”


He waves his glass around the air as if he is dictating to some ruddy crowd instead of talking drunkenly with just the two of us and his monkey in his overstuffed parlor.





-How long did it take you to flesh out the story enough to feel prepared to use it for NaNo?


So actually I started this project for April NaNo and that is where I wrote the first half. Then I set it aside to write two other books so I'm finally picking it up. I've had a pretty rough idea for this book since I wrote book one, but I definitely had to take some major brainstorming time in the end of September to figure out where exactly this book is going. I still don't know all of it so it is a good thing that I am a hardcore pantster.


-Is it a standalone or part of a series?

A Matter of Curiosity is part of a series, it is the sequel and final book to Return to Amar. You can find book one here, I published it last October.


-How did you get the idea for this story?


I was inspired for these books by Tim Burton's adaptations of Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass. I decided to do an Alice in Wonderland themed Amar story but I actually forgot that plan for a couple years until I was reading Splintered by A.G. Howard and remembered this series and how much I loved the idea of a mad twist to Amar. I was suddenly struck with inspiration for the titles and after that started writing book one. A Certain Sort of Madness was more of an inspired by type book than an actual retelling of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. But A Matter of Curiosity sticks far more closely to Alice Through the Looking Glass and so that is definitely a huge basis of inspiration for this story.


-What song or selection of lyrics best describes the general aesthetic of your story?

Okay so the song "Just Like Fire" from Alice Through the Looking Glass fits Alicia perfectly.
And the entire Greatest Showman soundtrack is basically this books aesthetic.
Land of Confusion (I like the Hidden Citizens version) is Olivia's theme
To see my whole selection of songs you can check out my Spotify Playlist for this book.


-What made you decide to write this book for NaNo?


I was originally going to work on a different sequel, but with deadlines for MoC looming I realized that I really needed to work on that one instead.


-What are your publishing plans for this book?


Originally I was actually hoping to publish it in March of 2020, but now looking at my schedule I would say that it will probably be bumped back to May of 2020. But I do plan on publishing MoC very soon. Like book one it will be self published.

So that's all for this week, are you excited for A Matter of Curiosity? How many of you have already read A Certain Sort of Madness? Comment below on what your NaNo projects are and don't forget to check out the other blogs participating in this tag!

12 comments:

  1. YOU DID NOT TELL ME YOU HAD 100% DECIDED ON OLIVIA YOU DOUBLE-CROSSING DOUBLE CROSSER

    But that aside..agh this post is EVERYTHING and I need this book yesterday *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY APOLOGIES I THOUGHT I'D TOLD YOU. But yes, I am 96% sure that it will be Olivia, but we shall see XD

      Yes, so did I definitely too.

      Delete
  2. This sounds absolutely amazing, and now I really, really, really want to read A Certain Sort of Madness because I love Alice in Wonderland themed things!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad that you liked it! A Certain Sort of Madness is definitely Alice in Wonderland themed and if that is the case then I think you will like it a lot ;P

      Delete
  3. I still need to read ACSoM...I bought it, just haven't...um...read it yet...

    Hopefully learning more about book two won't spoil book one too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it might. I try not to post any spoilers, but basically the whole basis of this book has to do with how book one ended XD

      Delete
  4. This sounds really cool! I loved the aesthetics you made for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I maybe spend too much time making aesthetics for this, but is definitely a very aesthetic story XD

      Delete
  5. *SCREAMS AND FLAILS AND COLLAPSES*

    THE SEQUEL TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIIIIIIME. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!!!! DANTE. AND OLIVIA. AND EUGENE. AND CHANDLER. AND ALICIA. AND DANTE. AND YEAH. ADLKGJLEJTLGKSJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANNNNDDDD DANTE!!! THE SEQUEL IS FINALLY COMING ARE WE READY? PROBABLY NOT BUT WHO CARES ANYWAY!!!

      Delete