Sunday, July 24, 2022

In Which I Finally Talk About Camp NaNo

 

Aight, so somehow the entire month has gotten past me and I have yet to discuss at any length what I am working on for Camp NaNo, or even how it has been going. Well, this post is supposed to help remedy that.

So, for this month I've been working on writing my book The Gods Created Monsters a story about four chaotic outcasts and a cat who are recruited to fight monsters, kill undead, and forestall the end of the world. It's the first book in a series that is set in Ruskhazar.

Here's a post going into more details bout this story as well as introducing my main characters:

And here is the extremely shiny and impressive official blurb:

The gods created the monsters…now it is up to the mortals to kill them.

Alya has always dreamed of adventure, but as a noble lady she knows that the only thing her future holds in store for her is marriage. However, when her engagement to the crown prince leads to her family’s murder, Alya loses herself to her need for revenge. She wants the future king dead and she is willing to do whatever she must to ensure his doom. Even if it means becoming a commissioned monster hunter and slaying as many undead as it takes to forestall the end of the world.

She is joined in her quest by the disillusioned guardsman who saved her life, a criminal who doesn’t want to do penance, a disgraced magicker who just wants everything to go back to the way was, and her cat. If they want to survive the dangerous duty of holding the line against the monsters then these outcasts are going to have to learn how to trust each other, ignore their selfish impulses, and do something right for a change. Because the world is ending and alone, they are not powerful enough to stop it.

Slay the monsters, defend the innocents, find the source of the rising dead… and don’t kill each other in the process. It shouldn’t be too difficult, right?

A band of novice monster slayers go up against creatures that have not been seen for a thousand years in this adult high fantasy series set in the world of Ruskhazar. It is perfect for fans of Michael J. Sullivan, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the Witcher Saga.

My goal had been to write all of TGCM this month, but as all my writing plans go, I had failed to account for edits. Which I'm always doing and always slows down my drafting progress considerably. So, I don't know why I always forget to fit edits into my plans. Between doing Eirik's POV and editing Harbinger (which I finished! If you're one of my ARC readers, good news, your copy of Harbinger is on its way. And if you aren't an ARC reader but wish you were, sign up for my newsletter because that's where I send my extra ARCs) I've done about 180,000 words of editing so needless to say I've been busy.

Just not writing TGCM.

Currently I'm at just over 20,000 words in the first draft. 18,900 of that I have written this month. I still have one last week, and you had better believe that I'm going to be doing my darned best to finish the book in that time. I'm done with all my editing projects for the month so it will have my full attention.

I also forgot to write Folly of the Gods for one day and had already used my grace week so I'm out of the GTW 100-for-100 challenge (boo). But that just means that my writing time will be undividedly focused on TGCM this month.

I have no idea if that will be enough to get it done since I figure the book itself will be somewhere in the 70,000-90,000 word range. But I've managed to accomplish the impossible before when it comes to writing deadlines. So... who knows. Maybe I'll win this NaNo yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment