Sunday, July 4, 2021

Meet My Character: Thyre No-Name

 

(all images via Pinterest, I take no credit for them)


Today's character is Thyre my werewolf assassin from Rage Like the Gods. She no longer believes that she is worthy to carry her family name, so she has been known as No-Name on some occasions.


I may seem like a scrawny hapless girl, but what I lack in size I make up for in fighting spirit and pure savagery. It takes a lot of people by surprise, especially those who are drunk enough to think that brawling is a good idea. They are already off balance, and then when they find out the hidden strength of my seemingly stick thin arms. Well, I live off the thrill of seeing their shock and surprise. And also helping myself to their coin purses cause I don’t fight for free.



Personality-wise Thyre has a grim outlook on life. She has been dealt a hard hand, and doesn't expect her prospects to ever turn up. She doesn't think she deserves a better life. Still she is nothing if not a survivor. No matter what life throws at her, she will at least figure out how to get through it. Happiness is simply a luxury, what really matters is who is living and breathing at the end of the day. Still, despite her pessimism and darker temperament Thyre does have an almost innocent romantic heart. She believes in true love and that it is forever.

INFJ//Gryfindor


Elwis the Eel turns back to me with a smile. “I find it absolutely darling that you now an assassin, are named after the god of burials. That is poetic justice.”

“I’m an assassin?” I ask, arching my brow. “Since when did that happen?”


Theme Songs:

Yellow Flicker Beat

Two Straight Lines

Sinners

Castle


Thyre is a Highlander, through and through. Tall, angry, born a warrior, unsatisfied by how her people are represented in the leadership, and not afraid to act on impulse. She is a trained killer, and knows how to go undetected if she wants. The only thing Thyre wants is a place to belong and someone to love again, until then she will simply continue on her existence as a lone wolf, merely surviving each day and nothing more. She feels passionately, except she just hasn't found a cause to fully dedicate herself to.


I smile somewhat wistfully. Oh, what would father think of his wayward daughter and the messes she just seems to keep getting herself into? Perhaps it is a blessing of the gods that he is not here to see it. Or perhaps if he were still around, I would be training by his hand to become an undertaker. Fate is an odd thing.


Her father was a tender of a burial mound and a loyal servant to Thyre the Guardian of the Dead so much so that he named his eldest child after him. Due to the Highlander's superstitious nature and fear of the dead, Thyre and her family lived outside of the city. That was until a band of bandits raided their home and killed her family in order to rob from the dead. Thyre was the only one to survive and she set out on the path of revenge, joining the bandit clan and fighting her way to the top to be able to kill those responsible for her family's death. However, her past as a bandit and the things she did while she was a part of their clan make it so that she will forever be an outcast in society. She finds a second chance in the unlikeliest of places, a clandestine family of assassins, as well as a pack of werewolves after they accidentally turn her into one. She will do anything to make sure that she is deserving of this second chance and that no one will ever take her families from her again.


“I haven’t chosen anything in my life and yet I must live with the consequences regardless. Not one jetting thing.” I didn’t choose to live on the outskirts of civilization where we would be easy prey to sacrilegious bandits who believe that they can plunder the dead, I didn’t choose to watch my family die before my eyes cut down by heartless fools. I don’t even know if I chose vengeance or if it was simply the only way to go, sacrificing so much to join and then move up the ranks in the bandit clan that took everything from me all to get close enough to their leader and well... I once again was an outcast, a former bandit of a clan I had destroyed but people didn’t care about that if anyone learned of my past I would face death just like my family. Just like the bandits. Just like everyone I ever seemed to know. And then the prison ship facing charges that I didn’t even know of, and having to leave Kirkwood, the assassins. Even this werewolf life. I didn’t choose it. I heave a bitter sigh. “I’m beginning to sense a pattern here.”


The darker side to Thyre is that she has a terrible temper and will never forgive a grudge. She is capable of killing without compunction, and just all around lost her moral compass years ago, or perhaps it is buried with her family. She knows that she does terrible things, but has long since passed the point of caring.


Elwis the Eel the leader of Thyre's family of assassins has become an almost surrogate father figure to her. When Elwis sees Thyre he sees his younger self, and Thyre sees someone to look up to. Together they are quite the heartless duo. However, Vrom, the kind hearted werewolf from her other family, believes that there are options other than murder and he is determined to show Thyre that she isn't actually as bad as she thinks she is.


He turns to me. “But mark my words if there is ever a revolution, I will be the first to sign up.”

“And I will be the second,” I say piping up.

“Maybe that’s the destiny you are looking for. Bringing glory and freedom to your people. You could do it I think.”

“Do what?” I ask with a small laugh. I wonder when the last time I laughed was but Kirkwood sets me at ease in a way that no one has before. I could spend eternity here in his company, I think.

“Force the lowlander king to surrender to us. To see reason. You have a fire in your eyes, you know. A fire that could consume the whole world if you let it. You are a conqueror.”


2 comments:

  1. You had me at werewolf assassin, but she's also an INFJ. Yesss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite excited because the ferocious strong werewolf is the sneaky assassin and as will be revealed later in this series (spoilers whoops) is that the head on fighter is the vampire with traits better suited for an assassin. I'm enjoying flipping that trope.

      Yesss, she is definitely and INFJ there's no getting around that.

      Delete