Sunday, July 18, 2021

Meet My Character: Meruna Kotov

 

(Images via Pinterest I take no credit for them)


Today's character is Meruna Kotov a magicker in training from Rage Like the Gods.

“A kraken?” I cry, breaking the silence. “But krakens don’t exist!”

I don’t suppose anyone was really waiting with bated breath for my opinion of the matter.



Personality-wise Meruna is quite arrogant, friendly, but arrogant. She has a kind heart, but due to her upbringing, actually believes that she is better than everyone else, therefore it is her job to conduct herself in a manner that will be a good example to others. She generally means well even if it comes out all wrong. Meruna is quite klutzy and accident prone, still she is extremely smart and she knows it. Meruna is quite religious and has taken a vow of nonviolence believing that only the gods have the right to send anyone to Skyhold or not.

ISTP//Ravenclaw


This academy with its stone walls, and ancient libraries, where the purpose of everyone here is the furthering of knowledge. I may have only just gotten here, but already I know this place is home.

My home.

I turn in a circle, holding out my arms. I’m finally home.


Theme songs:

Naturally

The Greatest

All of the Stars

Calling


Meruna's inquisitive and accident prone nature combine in sometimes very dangerous ways. She now wears her hair short after an accident with a flame spell caused her hair to catch on fire. Still, Meruna is no to be deterred from her dream of becoming a magicker. Not just that, but the best magicker there ever was. Did I mention that she is ambitious? Because yeah, she is pretty ambitious, however it is really more of a coping mechanism from spending her entire life fearing that her parent's will choose a life for her that will not amount to anything.


“Named after the goddess of magic huh? I will never understand the entitlement of the valley dwellers.”

“Hey!” I say. I actually happen to be quite proud of my name. Meruna is also the goddess of virtues so she isn’t solely the god of us “valley dwellers” and every day I strive to live up to every one of her virtues. Something this Fell apparently does not try to do as well.


Meruna comes from a powerful Lowlander family, and is the heir to quite an inheritance. Her family name was tainted in scandal when her uncle ran off to become a necromancer and then her aunt ran away to marry a vampire, due to this fact, Meruna has been watched over closely by her parents and prepped since childhood for the life that her family wishes for her to live. Kept far away from other children who might be a bad influence to her, Meruna found solace in books and soon discovered a passion for magic. Meruna resents her family's plans to sell her hand in marriage to someone who can help further her father's political goals, what she would rather do instead is attend the Academy of Magickers and learn more about magic. Out of fear of her doing something irrevocable like run away and follow in her uncle or aunt's footsteps, Meruna's' family finally relented and allowed her to attend the academy. However, they all know that once her years of studying are through and she is bestowed the title of magicker, the only thing waiting for her afterwards is a loveless marriage.


I don’t know how wishing to attend a college and learn some about the spells and magic that have fascinated me since before I could even wear robes, and wanting to do something with my life before I am carted off to marriage quite compares to the infamous aunt who ran away to be the bride of a vampire lord. But if you ask my mother they are equal sins.


Meruna's darker side is that she judges herself harshly and has begun to regard herself in a negative light because she keeps falling short of her own expectations. She also takes her oath of nonviolence so far that oftentimes she will not even engage in self-defense and she will become angered by other people not behaving in the pacifist manner she prefers.

Fortunately for Meruna, Aoife, a warrior nun, has named herself her bodyguard. Fell is her study partner and he oftentimes also has to intercede to save Meruna's life from the danger she naturally attracts. Being a chosen one is a dangerous business, but between Aoife and Fell they just might be able to keep Meruna alive long enough for her to save the world.


Fell frowns as he rests a hand on my shoulder. “You’re really going to say that the gods made a mistake? Here? In one of their temples?”

I tug on the end of my hair and grimace. That’s one step from blasphemy. The gods are divines, who are we humans to question their methods? “I well… no.”

He gently squeezes my shoulder and steps back looking proud of himself. “So if they didn’t make a mistake then that means you were the perfect person to choose.”


2 comments:

  1. I would be the Aunt running off to marry a vampire. XD
    I really like Meruna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly same here, like you Kotovs keep saying this like it is a bad thing. Is it such a bad thing? XD

      Thanks I'm glad that you do!

      Delete