Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Cue your panicking because it's the final week of NaNo

(images via Pinterest)

 


As I'm typing this post up I'm wearing my NaNoWriMo shirt that says I won. Even though I have not yet won. I'm a little rebel I know, I know.

But I'm going to win, at least things are looking pretty good for right now. As I write this post I'm sitting on about 42, 530 words this month. That puts me at 81,737 words in RLtG as a whole, which is a lot and wow it doesn't feel like I'm that far into this book, but apparently I am. O_O

this is where I'm at in each individual POV:


Eirik: 31,343 words, blasted boy got a haircut and is prancing around in a hood working to save a small village from poverty by robbing from their wealthy landlord

Thyre: 19,293 words, somehow managed to get herself conscripted into an assassin family and turned into a werewolf within like 48 hours of each other, this girl has some serious skillz

Dagmy: 17,477 words, V A M P I R E S

Meruna: 13,624 words, finally made it to the Academy of Magickers

Azern: still haven't started her POV but she was just introduced in Meruna's POV so pretty soon now she will start up her own story


I'm probably only about halfway through this book? But I haven't brainstormed or plotted out this next part of the book very much, so I will probably proceed through it at a slower pace once NaNo is through. To be honest I hadn't thought I would make it this far XD But whatever happens all I know is that RLtG is going to be a looooooooong book. I was trying to find some way to shorten it because I had been planning on trying to get RLtG trad published, and publishers/agents seem to be pretty persnickety about books being "too long".

But then I took a good long time to consider why I wanted to publish RLtG traditionally and I realized I had no good reasons. I thought it would be cool to have someone want to pick up my book, the buzz that surrounds that, the excitement. Until I realized how much I was dreading signing any contract. I really like having control of my books. I like coming up with the titles, and designing the covers (I hate writing blurbs but then who doesn't?). Most of all I like being able to decide how long my books can be.

I started to come to this realization when I published OGaI myself, but I didn't want to admit it to myself then.

Indie publishing is actually the best route for my books

Not by default, but because I enjoy indie publishing and having the final say on my books.

Now I'm not saying I'll never query again, but as things stand the chances aren't that great. Indie is just such a growing market, the opportunities are endless. And am I the only one or does every Trad book that is coming out these days look like a carbon copy of the other?


What's ahead for me? Well, my job is closing down. Again. So in the next month(s?) till we manage to reopen I am hoping to finally edit up Season of Subterfuge, write Of Gold and Iron's sequel, and of course keep working on RLtG.

Happy Thanksgiving all, here's to a productive holiday season filled with cheer, family, and good health.

2 comments:

  1. I personally love long books, so I wish publishers did too.
    Indie publishing really is growing, and I think having control is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, long books are some of my favorites, and for popular authors like SJM long books are accepted but new just starting out authors? nopeity nope better cut that book down in size

      It certainly is! It's changed so much just since I first published WoW. I'm so used to making these decisions myself I think if I gave up that control I would probably go mad XD

      Delete