Sunday, September 26, 2021

What I did in September

I didn't get quite as much done this month as I would have liked due to a bout of bad health and some unforeseen situations arising. The first couple of weeks of September chewed me up and spat me back out which I think was rather rude of them, but ah well, what's done is done. Also I reached the end of my prescheduled blog posts so I'm actually typing this up right now in the present days away from when I am actually supposed to post it. I really liked prescheduling, kept my time free to do more writing while not totally abandoning this blog so I'm probably going to try to do that again (especially for November).

I did have some wins this month though...

I finished my first POV in Rage Like the Gods. My stubborn idealistic academy magicker student Meruna's story has been shelved until book two. Only four more POVs to wrap up and then I'm done with this book. My thief boy bard Eirik's POV is almost done, but I'm not quite as close as I would like to be with the last three. Really want to try to get that done in October though.

Speaking of what else I would like to have done in October... A Tale of Gods and Glory. The going has been a tad slower for that one than I would have liked, but I'm hoping to really knuckle down and get it done next month. That story is sitting at 20k currently, I'm not exactly sure how long it is going to be but am I naïve to hope that it will be shorter than 100k? (the answer to that is probably, there's quite a bit that happens in the three year timespan that this story takes place over, but I'm really trying to give more of an overview of what is happening and not get bogged down by the little details that get me every time)

I finished editing Of Stars and Shadows! And guess what, true to form Of Stars and Shadows grew (I have a bad habit of adding to my word count exponentially while editing, don't ask me how, I only added a few scenes...), it is no longer 73,000 words long but is now over 90k. It's still my shortest full length novel completed, but it's almost 20k longer than it used to be so progress. I sent that off to my editor and beta readers so currently it is out of my hands, giving me more time to focus on RLtG and AToGaG. I also contacted my cover designer and hopefully will have a cover to reveal very soon. I'll be looking for people to take part in that soon, but I don't have any official dates yet. Hopefully I'll have something more conclusive and maybe even a sign up sheet by next week.

Also, I decided that with the end of this trilogy in sight that I wanted to just plow through, start book three Of Dawn and Fire and maybe try to publish that earlier than the next fall that I had been anticipated. I haven't 100% made up my mind yet, but I think I'm going to make ODaF my NaNo project this year (it follows with the proud legacy—OGaI was my NaNo project in 2018, and OSaS was my Camp NaNo project for this year). Now obviously I can't share very much about it because the second book isn't even out yet and of course there are spoilers abounding in book three, but I can share that this book is going to have some slight horror elements, war, and of course Jaye and Ravven fighting a lot. Also the aesthetic collage I made for it...

(images via Pinterest, all credit to their original creators)


I'm so excited for the cooler weather. I love fall with all of my heart. I haven't cracked out my sweaters as of me writing this because it hasn't quite been cold enough for that yet, but I've been eyeing up my hoodies and joggers with much anticipation.

Also can I just say that I love the spooky atmosphere of October? Seems like the perfect time to finally finish up my werewolf story with cults and shapeshifting monsters (AToGaG); start a faerie story about war and creepy spirits (ODaF); and finish up another book with one werewolf MC fighting a werewolf turf war, another MC who is going to turn into a werewolf, a MC who is currently a vampire, and the last MC who fancies himself to be Robin Hood (RLtG).

Also I've been mulling over a new project. I'm not going to announce it until I have something more substantial to go on, but I might just end up having two secret projects going into the new year...


So yeah, that's what I've been up to and what I'm going to be up to. How has this past month treated you? Any plans for October? Are you planning on doing NaNo this year? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment