Monday, January 18, 2021

What you have probably all been waiting for: in which I finally talk about A Winter Dark and Deadly

 

(images via Pinterest all credit to their original creators)

Ah A Winter Dark and Deadly... a story that I know many of you have been waiting for. The full length sequel to a Snow White novella I published three years ago, then I published a prequel novella about the evil queen in early 2019. And this year is the year I'm hoping to publish A Winter Dark and Deadly.

Yup that's right, you heard me, I'm planning to finally publish this beast. I don't know when, I figure I have made you wait long enough for this story so as soon as it is publishable I'm putting it out there. No waiting till December like I had originally planned.

A Winter Dark and Deadly was originally 150,000 words long. You would think that somewhere in all of those 150,000 words I would have stumbled upon a plot but nope. No plot here my good sir, my good lady, my good friends. Only stabbing and crying.

This time around (I'm about 60,000 words through so a little over a third of the way into reworking it) I'm adding a plot, working to tighten the story up, and actually make it a little less dark. I think it would probably still be able to be counted as a dark fantasy, but this new version definitely has a lighter, more magical feel to it than the first book and the prequel had. I'm adding more to the magic system, and a lot more mythology.

Winter Cursed  and A Winter Grim and Lonely both really revolved around Elisabeth's family and showed their sides in the seven year's war. This book is more about Cedric's family.

Also there's a wyvern.

Oh and Beauty and the Beast themes. I wouldn't say this is a full on Beauty and the Beast retelling like Winter Cursed was a Snow White retelling... but it is definitely influenced by a lot of that tale. Complete with an enchanted castle, magical roses, and some hostage situations but I'm not saying who kidnaps who. You'll just have to wait and read that for yourself.

I will probably never get over just how beautiful this cover is I can't wait to finally hold it in my hands and use it as a doorstopper (jk but it's going to be like 550 pages long when everything is said and done)...



(add to Goodreads if you haven't yet)

Mirror...Mirror...

Elisabeth risked her life to defeat her stepmother and reclaim her crown, but her courtiers have a different idea of who should rule. Her twenty-first birthday is still years away, and it seems that if she does not marry they will give her throne to another regent until she comes of age.

All will fall.

However, she wonders if it will even come to that when she discovers that despite everything she has been told, her stepmother Ismena is still alive and bent on reclaiming her crown- as well as her beauty. Rumor has it that Ismena is searching for a mystical weapon in Mooraven that has the power to end them all. Elisabeth intends to find it first, but how much is she truly willing to risk to save her kingdom?

There is no fairest...

Winter is coming and with it war. However, Elisabeth’s court is determined to sit idly by and watch the threat from afar. With nowhere else to turn, she is forced to seek an alliance with the only person who can help her. Cedric saved her once, but can Elisabeth rely on him when he is obviously lying to her?

Of them all.

With a kingdom on the brink of war, Elisabeth quickly learns that there is no one she can fully trust. Not even herself with her control over her ice magic slipping and her heart yearning for the dark prince. Through it all, one thing becomes dangerously clear… the queen who has the most power is the one who will rule.

(images via Pinterest all credit to their original creators)



Another thing that I'm changing about this story is the ending. In the original version I tied everything up with a neat little bow. And it didn't make a whole lot of sense with some characters, so I'm changing up the fate of those characters.

Now don't get me wrong. Cedric and Elisabeth will get a happily ever after. There you heard it from me. And does this look like the face of a bat that would lie to you?

(from Pinterest)

*crickets sound as I wait for someone, anyone to get this reference*

But also... there is going to be a third book in this series. Now I know what you are probably thinking, "AWDAD was supposed to be the end to the saga, what is she going to put into this next book? What new and terrible things will she do to our precious characters, I knew it was suspicious of her to announce a happy ending!"

Okay maybe you aren't thinking all that...

But this book is not going to be about Cedric and Elisabeth. Their story ends in AWDAD. Book 3 isn't even going to take place in Illesya. It will be a family affair though... *chuckles ominiously*

It's going to be called A Winter Bright and Burning and it will be about Vikings and dragons and that's all I'm sharing right now. *smirks evilly*


So I hope that you enjoyed this little update about A Winter Dark and Deadly. I would love to hear any theories you have based on what I shared. Also, has AWBAB piqued your interest despite not being about your favorite snarky dark prince and princess of snow? Comment below!

6 comments:

  1. /I/ understood that reference *chuckles evilly*

    I've missed Cedric! SO excited to read this book mwahahahahaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would worry if you didn't xD

      I too have missed Cedric, that troublesome dark prince...

      Delete
  2. I got the reference too. XD

    This sounds really good! I like that is focuses on Cedric's family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!

      Thanks! It's time for the Mooraven family to rise again. Or maybe fall together. Time will tell.

      Delete
  3. Your covers are always so stunning! Who designs them for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The designer who has done most of my covers is Victoria Cooper :)

      Delete