Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Monsters, News, and an Update or Two

(Image via me because I made it)



I made it to 20k words in BARN. 20,250 words to be brutally precise. Which isn't bad considering that I started it last month (originally I was distracted and typed night instead, and man wouldn't that have been a feat?) and that's probably the most I have written in anything else since like last November. So I am certainly pleased.

(via Pinterest)
(via Pinterest)

That puts me at about I-Don't-Know in this indeterminably long novel. I'm starting to find a little bit of a plot as I wade through the world building and character introductions so that's always super fun. I think I might be in Act II but since I'm not doing the Act system with this book I'm just guessing at this point.

To be honest though 90% of this book has been me guessing. Probably a side affect of writing a genre that is completely foreign to me but it's FUN.

Actual footage of me writing those 20k words.
(via Pinterest)

A brief update of what is happening in BARN so far...

I'm like twelve chapters in told through four official POVs. So far it's the evening of the second day, so a lot happening in a short span of time.

Just trying to get into the character's heads though... I'm about to pass every single one of them off as clinically insane. Sheesh and I thought I had unhealthy coping methods and problems with obsession...

 “You spend your day hunting monsters and your time off reading about monsters?” Nicholas asked shoving his hands into his pocket.
Renee looked up. “Do you have a problem with that?”
I don’t know.” He shrugged and glanced around the room. It was quaintly decorated, knicknacks of cats covered shelves with floral drapes and bed sheets and striped wall paper. All pale orange and pink. It was hideous. He prayed his room looked at least a little better. If he was going to get any good wall staring in, he hoped it wasn’t a wall like this. “It just seems kind of sad.”

So far the body count is still just 1 (RIP, Terry)

 “Rule number one of not dying,” Renee said pausing halfway out the door to glance at him. “Don’t go into strange woods at nightfall. A rule that Terrance was not lucky enough to follow.”

I keep forgetting to add creepy journal entries but it's fine*
*It was not actually fine

Trying to describe stuff be like: It was spooky

(Via Pinterest)

I keep drawing pictures and making stuff that concerns my characters but I can't share them because they are actually from book 4 and Spoilers(TM)

(like the one non spoiler picture I haven't already shared so enjoy)


My characters have all met each other and various impressions have been made. Currently... *checks document* Renee is reading a book, Nicholas is having an existential crisis, Warren is asleep, and Millie is off to enjoy a night on the town and get herself drugged in the name of investigation.

(via Pinterest)

Coming up next I have... to get a drugged Millie to bed. But after that there is an impromptu road trip with its very own three fold curse, a lovely hike complete with baby monsters, and a whole lot of car problems.

Anyway, that's my update for today 


(and on Nicki, I have been reading through AWDAD and man I had forgotten how snarky Cedric was...I'm almost done reading through the first 50k)

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and I'm smirking violently at all of this ESPECIALLY the x-files gifs but like...it's perfect. So.

    I especially am a fan of those snippets (although might I ask...was there any particular reason for killing off someone named Terrance? *whistles*)

    We like road trips so YOU BETTER UPDATE ME AS YOU GO CHILD >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, although I thought you would mention the Dave Tennant gif. I put that in with you specifically in mind XD

      Excellent, it's always a nice feeling to look back on your own writing and actually find snippets more than a half a sentence to share (hmm I can't think of a reason *whistles*)

      Oh you know I will be. I will be just like THESE KIDS 24/7 and you know it XD

      Delete
  2. Hike with baby monsters????? I can't wait. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that may end up being the strangest thing I ever write but yes it is definitely going to happen XD

      Delete
  3. Congrats on so many words! Love the snippet! And these characters sound hilarious!! The art is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are all so opinionated, can you believe the gall of that? XD well thank you very much XD

      Delete